Friday, January 12, 2007

Progress

We've finished the bulk of the instrumental recording for the album, and are currently about half way through the vocals. The Tosca quartet is coming in next week, and at the end of February we'll travel to New York to do the mixing. Not sleeping particularly well... more dreams about Scotland, my childhood home, this album. Currently sitting in an internet cafe listening to Running Up That Hill by Kate Bush, which makes me reevaluate (is that really the correct spelling?), well, just about everything. When I listen to Kate Bush, I remember housesitting for the wonderful Jill Mingo, who lived just around the corner from the Necropolis, a large grave yard/Cathedral that looms of the East end of Glasgow, imagery which was admittedly made more erie after the watching of Deathwatch, the 1980 Bertrand Tavernier film which is set mainly in 1970's Glasgow. During the day I would walk take brisk walks to the top of the hill, and often experienced a similar sensation to that of viewing Arthur's seat, the beautiful land mass which rises over Edinburgh. Arthur's Seat is perhaps the most arresting inter-city land form I have ever seen, to stand on it is to feel the past and present converging at once. This is sort of the essence of Edinburgh, at least through the eyes of a foreign national. After my walks, I would return home, sort through Patrick Wolf's fan mail (Jill was, at that time, his manager), feed her cat miles, her snake, and recline at the kitchen table to the sound of Kate Bush, particularly Hounds of Love, and would think long and hard about how passion has often lead me to do the wrong thing, especially in terms of romance. But it's something outside of you, an external beast is responsible for making these choices.

10 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

Edinburgh is one of the greatest cities in the world in which to be creative, you're absolutely right. Well, it's one of the greatest cities in the world, full stop. Hope the recording process isn't too taxing - here's something to help get your head in the right place to keep up the good work...

Edinburgh at dusk

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"But it's something outside of you, an external beast is responsible for making these choices."

is it really?

I am listening to these old voxtrot songs (ie: they never mean what they say/dirty version) and they're all really lovely.

if you don't mind me asking, who sings in dirty version?

I hope you're sleeping better ramesh.

<3

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've also been wondering about the singer on Dirty Version for a while...

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

scottland is way too gorgeous.

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ramesh did you not go and see the aforementioned deathwatch at the gft with my brother and dazzababes? i'm gutted i missed it. did i have an excuse?

that anne's right. i hope you are sleeping better now because you're coming to glasgow soon! haha

4:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think it's ramesh himself singing the whole Dirty Version... right, Ramesh?

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all new songs on the album?

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm sorry but seriously is there any way to meet you?

i sound like such a creep but i have a fake crush on you. yep.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Marc Caputo said...

Speaking of "Running Up That Hill", I had a girlfriend in 1992 who I'd lent that single to. She said she played it over and over again, falling asleep to it. Her mother hated it, calling it "pure trash". Some years later, I read somewhere that it was about female satisfaction - which I had never realized. Nowadays, I still think about that girl and wonder how we never realized.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ramesh, I want to try to make a cover for your album. is it possible?

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home